While on Retreat
Hiking & Snow-Shoeing & Skiing
Several nearby trails are accessible year-round. We especially suggest the following:
- Fallison Nature Trail
- North Trout Lake Nature Trail
- Madeline Trail
- Escanaba Trail
- Raven Trail
- Star Lake Nature Trail
- Cathedral Point
The Heart of Vilas County Paved Bike Trail System offers riders more than 52 miles of paved trails that connect the nearby towns of St. Germain, Sayner, Boulder Junction, Manitowish Waters, and Mercer. This trail winds through the Northern Highland American Legion Forest and along crystal clear lakes and rivers. Along the trail are many scenic rest areas with picnic spots and restrooms. From Marywood, bikers could access the trail at the intersection of M & N just a little over 2 miles away.
Our neighbor, Trout Lake Golf Course, is the oldest 18-hole golf facility in the Northwoods and is open to the public.
Places For Reflection and Contemplation
- St. Francis Walk at Holy Family Catholic Church is situated to the northeast of the parish complex (8950 Cty J, Woodruff, WI 54568) and consists of 10 different meditation stations. These aspects of the life of Francis speak forcefully to the church and contemporary culture. They cover such topics as respect for creation, the Prayer of S. Francis, Francis and the Muslims, the call of Francis to renew the church, the spirit of poverty.
- 24 Hour Eucharistic Adoration Chapel at Holy Family Catholic Church
- Labyrinth at Treehaven
- Holy Family Catholic Church, Woodruff
- Our Lady Queen of Peace, Manitowish Waters
- St. Matthias Episcopal Church, Minocqua
- Ascension Lutheran Church, Minocqua
- Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church ELCA, Minocqua
- Church of the Pines Methodist Church, Minocqua
- Faith Evangelical Free Church, Woodruff
Other Places of Interest
- North Lakeland Discovery Center is in Manitowish Waters. Nature programs and 12 miles of trails are open to the public year-round.
- George W. Brown Jr. Ojibwe Museum and Cultural Center in Lac du Flambeau is a great place to learn about our Native American neighbors.
- Earth Goods Pottery in Minocqua is a paint your own pottery studio for all ages and artistic abilities. It can be a relaxing place to get your creative energy flowing while you are on retreat. You’ll find a unique variety of items to paint and guides who are happy to help. A few days after you paint your piece, it could be ready for pick up.